A new hearing device is now available for some hearing-impaired people. This device uses a magnet to hold the detachable sound-processing portion in place. Like other aids, it converts sound into vibrations. But it is unique in that it can transmit the vibrations directly to the magnet and then to the inner ear. This produces a clearer sound. The new device will not help all hearing-impaired people only those with a hearing loss caused by infection or some other problem in the middle ear. It will probably help no more than 20 percent of all people with hearing problems. Those people who have persistent ear infections, however, should find relief and restored hearing with the new device.
Answer the Following Questions with the help of the Passage above:
- What is the author's main purpose?
- To describe a new cure for ear infections
- To inform the reader of a new device
- To urge doctors to use a new device
- To explain the use of a magnet
- The word "relief" in the last sentence means:
- Less distress
Listening Section: The Following dialogue is being played by a tape.
Woman: What a birthday party! All of the food is great--but this strawberry cheesecake is especially good. Why don't you try some?
Man: If I weren't on a diet I would. Strawberry cheesecake is my favorite.
Narrator: What is the man probably going to do?
(A) Pass up the food.
(B) Try a bite of the cake.
(C) Buy a strawberry cheesecake.
(D) Get the recipe for the cake.
TOEFL Sample Writing Topics
1. People attend school for many different reasons (for example, expanded knowledge, societal awareness, and enhanced interpersonal relationships). Why do you think people decide to go to school? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
2. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Coaches are the best teachers. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
3. Nowadays, with the invention of the microwave and with the popularity of fast food restaurants, food has become easier to prepare than ever. Do you think microwave ovens and fast food restaurants are beneficial to society? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
4. It has been said, "Not all learning takes place in the classroom." Compare and contrast knowledge gained from personal experience with knowledge gained from classroom instruction. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?
5. Your government has announced that it wishes to build a military base near your community. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this new influence on your community. Do you support or oppose the military base?
6. If you could change one important thing about your country, what would you change? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.
7. How does advertising influence people's behavior? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.
8. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? The invention of the Internet has had negative effects on your civilization. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
9. Some students prefer to attend a small university. Others prefer to attend a big university. Discuss the advantages of each. Then indicate which type of university you prefer? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
10."When people succeed in life, it is because of hard work. Being lucky has nothing to do with success in life." Do you agree or disagree with the quotation above? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.